Monday, 7 September 2009

How to make Thunderbird delete temporary file

If you are using Thunderbird (TB) on Mac OSX, you might be annoyed by that when TB opens an attachment (like a pdf file) it creates the file on the Desktop and then leaves just it there! I have finally found a solution, which seems to work at least for me and assuming that you also have Firefox. The solution is here, but I duplicate it here to make sure the idea spreads:

Simply open Firefox, in the address bar type in about:config, then add a boolean variable browser.helperApps.deleteTempFileOnExit and set its value to true.

Now, this works to the extent that when you exit Firefox(!!) (after quitting Thunderbird), it will remove the cluttering files.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Csaba Szepesvári said...

Sorry guys, the fix does not work for some reason. It has worked first, but now it stopped working.

मेघा said...

Hi,

I know very little about Mac OS but this issue seemed to be interesting and then I read your comment that it didn't work after first try. The link that you have mentioned talks about one more setting for Thunderbird. It says:
"For Thunderbird get to the config editor via Thunderbird > Preferences… > General > Config Editor… and add the same Boolean preference"
You haven't mentioned this in your post. So I was just wondering if you have tried this trick too?

--
Girija

Csaba Szepesvári said...

Hi Girija,
Yes, I looked at that.
In my Thunderbird (2.0.0.23, latest) there is no "Config Editor.." accessible from the preferences.
- Csaba

मेघा said...

Hi,

I have Thunderbird 2.0.0.22. I found this setting under Advanced tab of Preferences. You might want to check that once.

--
Girija

Csaba Szepesvári said...

Girija,
Thanks, this is great: I have found this setting there, too. And what is even better is that it works again!! Perfect! Wow, you made my day!
Thanks,
Csaba
PS: I will update my post later to reflect to current state of the art.

मेघा said...

:)
Great to hear that! You are welcome!

--
Girija

thunderbird said...

thanks a lot !

3 customers asked me to solve this !

great tips !

Sebastien